YMCA Worcestershire have a newly created Head of Business Development opportunity to find and develop business opportunities as well as oversee income generation through building partnerships, commercial development, corporate sponsorship, grants, fundraising and social enterprise.
Salary: £38-40k per annum FTE
Hours: 40 hours (can be worked across 4 or 5 days)
Contract: Fixed term 6 months initially (with intention to extend to permanent role thereafter)
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Responsible for: Fundraising & Communications Manager, Youth Manager, Prison Project
Manager, Community Development Manager
Key Working Relationships: CEO; Senior Management Team colleagues; managers within business areas across our organisation; business development managers in other YMCAs regionally and nationally; business support links in YMCA England & Wales.
Purpose of role:
- To find and develop business opportunities for YMCA Worcestershire.
- To oversee income generation through building partnerships, commercial development, corporate sponsorship, grants, fundraising and social enterprise
- To work with CEO, SMT and Board to develop, deliver and support the charity’s 3-5 year strategic business plan.
- To contribute to the overall management of the Charity as part of the Senior Management Team.
Main responsibilities and duties:
- Lead on development of a fundraising/income generation (to include marketing/communications) strategy that aligns with our overall strategic direction.
- Identify opportunities and support the development of new initiatives for sustainable impact in accordance with our charity’s strategy and objectives.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, to contribute to the overall strategic management of the Charity including development, review and implementation of policy, strategy, internal and external standards and procedures.
PR, Marketing and our “shop front”
- Develop long term partnerships with public and third sector organisations, commercial organisations and other key stakeholders to develop business opportunities for our charity, including local churches, community groups, political/business leaders.
- Explore, with clear business planning alongside our Community Development Manager, how we can better elevate our Community Centres as our “shop front” for PR/marketing and branding, income generation and social/commercial enterprise while also fulfilling charitable impact and outreach.
- Represent the organisation with key stakeholders and in local/regional/national networks and be a role model of our YMCA Worcestershire values.
- To be the first point of contact for any media queries and liaise with the CEO on these.
- Develop new income generating service offers and lead any opportunities for social enterprise, corporate sponsorship or similar.
- Develop and implement sustainable plans for the provision of services including commercialisation, and the full spectrum of fundraising approaches.
- To have overall responsibility on identifying suitable funding sources and overseeing the designing, writing, editing and checking of bid documents for accuracy and contract alignment.
Management of staff and resources
- Recruit, manage, supervise, develop and support colleagues who report to you.
- Work with SMT on identifying and implementing efficient/effective ways of working and liaise on identifying and implementing appropriate value for money data systems for this purpose.
- Guidance on appropriate procurement for services and work we need across our organisation
Quality assurance monitoring and reporting
- Oversight to monitor the financial viability of all programmes, services and products while ensuring value to stakeholders, within both the local and wider community.
- Establish, implement and monitor a system of targets and standards for all business areas under the postholder’s oversight, ensuring best practice and compliance with legislative and funding requirements. Agree a range of performance indicators against which performance of the department can be measured.
- Monitor budgetary and performance information together with statistical information required both internally and externally, ensuring submissions meet required deadlines.
- Manage budgets under your control in accordance with the financial policies, and the requirements of funding partners.
- Lead on drafting and liaising on the composition of Annual Reports as required.
- Hold the role of Senior Designated Safeguarding Lead, in collaboration with the Head of Housing & Support, and thereby ensure we uphold our responsibility and our duty of care to protect all those with whom we work.
- To operate within YMCA Worcestershire’s aims and purposes and to have respect for the Christian ethos of the Association/movements values and a readiness to uphold them.
- To operate within YMCA Worcestershire’s policies and procedures; Equality, Diversity & Involvement, Safeguarding & Protection, Service Quality & Provision, Health & Safety, Data & Information Confidentiality, The Environment and Finance & Accounting.
- To recognise the importance of our responsibility and our duty of care to safeguard the welfare of and to protect all children, young people and vulnerable adults with whom we work.
- To undertake other duties as commensurate with the purpose of the post as may be required from time-to-time, including working at weekends and evening on occasion.
Person Specification and Key Competencies:
Knowledge & Qualifications
- Bachelors degree in business or related field or relevant experience and skills
- Good Information Technology knowledge and proficient in Microsoft Office and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of the Christian faith
- At least 3 years’ experience of building strong partnerships to develop business opportunities, partnerships and services
- Strong fundraising experience, with the ability to develop and oversee delivery of a fundraising, marketing and communications strategy
- Staff and resource management and project management experience
- Experience of identifying, writing and managing substantial grant funding applications and business plans
- Experience of developing a social enterprise
- Experience of working in a charity or commercial/professional environment
- Experience of developing and maintaining high quality relationships with external agencies
Skills & Competencies
- Effective communication skills
- Good report writing, analytical and research skills
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise own workload
- Strong interpersonal skills & a proven ability to develop relationships and build/develop teams
- Budgetary management knowledge and skills
- Able to diagnose problems and recommend solutions
- Full clean driving licence with use of a car for work purposes
- Highly enterprising, a natural entrepreneur and innovator, able to drive organisational growth
- Commitment to equality, valuing diversity and understanding of how this applies to delivery of own area of work
- Respect for the Christian ethos of the YMCA and commitment to uphold its values
Please apply by cover letter and CV.
Your CV should include contact details and an overview of your education, employment history, referees and other personal information relevant to the role.
Your cover letter should address why you wish to apply for the role and how you meet the specifications for the role.
12 noon, Monday 29th May 2023
Wednesday 31st May 2023
Friday 2nd June 2023
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract, Temp to perm
Contract length: 6 months
Salary: £38,000.00-£40,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Free parking
- On-site parking
- Private dental insurance
- Private medical insurance
- Wellness programme
- Monday to Friday
- Business development: 3 years (preferred)
- Driving Licence (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 29/05/2023